Thursday, April 8, 2010




Hello! I'm Angela and I'm in English 110.01 this quarter. I was born on June 13 in Mandaluyong, Philippines. Philippines is a country in Asia made up of thousands of islands. I am from the main island of Luzon and I grew up in the country's capital, Manila. My native language is Tagalog; it has some Spanish words because the Philippines was colonized by Spaniards. The climate is tropical and this is the excuse I always use when I complain about the cold weather during the winter season. Some Filipino food are similar to Chinese food. Usually, Filipinos would eat bread, called pandesal, and drink coffee in the morning, but others eat rice as well. We eat everything with rice! Lunch and dinner would be rice and ulam, which is some kind of dish that we eat with rice. My favorite food from the Philippines are the instant noodles named Pancit Canton, Ube ice cream, which is purple, and Taro Bubble Tea, which is also purple.





















Gradeschool in the Philippines start in first grade and end in sixth grade. Class would start around seven in the morning and end around three to five in the afternoon. I started learning how to speak English in kindergarten. I moved to Toledo when I was in fourth grade and I attended St. Patrick's Gradeschool. In 2005, I went to Notre Academy which is an all-girls school. Whenever I told people I went to an all-girls school, they were always shocked. But I thought it was convenient because I was able to roll out of bed in the morning and go to school. I wore a school uniform from the first day I started school when I was four years old until the last day of my senior year in high school.

When I applied for colleges, Kent State University was my first choice. Kent has a six-year program for medicine; I would have loved to finish with school two years early. Unfortunately, I did not get accepted to Kent. The other colleges I applied to was Youngstown State University, the University of Akron and Case Western Reserve University. As you can see, Ohio State was not on the list. I did not want to go to Ohio State but my dad forced me to apply, and I am so thankful that he did! So now I'm here at Ohio State trying to become a doctor. My major is Biochemistry and Pre-medicine. This quarter I'm taking English, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. No math this quarter!

Basketball is my favorite sport and I watch the NBA. My favorite team used to be the Philadelphia Sixers because Allen Iverson was on the team, but now I do not have a favorite team. I watch movies more than TV series. One of the best movies I've watched is the Bourne Identity. Actually, I like a lot of movies but the Bourne Identity may be the movie I have seen the most. My favorite TV shows are Scrubs and NCIS. I listen to hip hop but I listen to other types of music as long as they sound good.






2 comments:

  1. Hey Angela! That is so cool that you are from the Philipinnes, but I dont know how you deal with the cold weather here. I am still not used to the cold and i've lived in Ohio my whole life! One of my best friends is also filipino and I love trying the food his family makes, its so delicious. Kent State is actually the closest college from my home and although I didn't apply there I know many people who go there. Why didn't you want to apply to Ohio State in the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I plan to travel to Southeast Asia including Philippines this summer! I also have trouble in the weather here because I am used to the warm and wet conditions. I also think the Bourne Identity is a very exciting movie and I am really impressed by the life Bourne has.How many year will you spend to be a doctor? It may be so long I think.

    ReplyDelete